People don't buy products. They buy better versions of themselves.
What’s the Tip?
When selling your product or service, use storytelling to sell the benefits, not the features. Why? Because features and description create information, but stories create meaning. You can't expect anyone to buy what you're selling if it's not meaningful to them. You must show how your offer will clearly make their life better. Remember:
- People don't want to buy products; they want to buy better versions of themselves.
- Clients don't want to know what you can do; they want to know what you can do for them.
- Shoppers don't want to just buy a pen - they want to buy a pen that can sign a contract for their dream home, secure a huge deal for their company, or address elegant invitations for their wedding.
How Do You Use It?
When selling the benefits of your offer through story, consider the story arc. Quite simply, the story arc has a beginning, middle and end. The beginning is life as it currently is, the middle is the problem or struggle that your audience is facing, and the end is the solution - or how your offer will make their life better. Here's an example we wrote to illustrate what we're talking about:SAMPLE COPY:(BEGINNING - LIFE AS IT CURRENTLY IS) "We all need to fix something once in a while.(MIDDLE - THE PROBLEM) But it can be so frustrating when a simple task takes too long because you can't find the right tool!
(END - THE SOLUTION) That's why we created the UniWrench! It's magnetic design automatically adjusts to any size nut to get the job done fast. Never again will you waste time searching for the correct size wrench, or fumble through an overflowing junk drawer or cluttered toolbox. This one tool replaces 10 others! End your frustration today!"
What is An Example?
We couldn't leave you without sharing an excellent response to "sell me this pen", could we? We adapted the below example from here: https://medium.com/@RafaelMagana/best-answer-to-sell-me-this-pen-i-have-ever-seen-779831b70241
We grew up, our entire lives, using inexpensive BIC pens because they get the job done for grocery lists, directions, and notes. We never gave it much thought to learn what’s best for more important events. Until this pen. This is the pen for more important events. This is the tool you use to get deals done. Because when you begin using the right tool, you're in a more productive state of mind. You begin to sign more new client contracts. Think of this pen as a symbol for taking your company to the next level.
What Are the Benefits to You?
When you rely solely on facts and figures (features and description) to do the talking in your business messaging, you are only providing information. Information is helpful, but not very meaningful. Caring about something, having a problem solved, or a need fulfilled, is what inspires action. Stories sell.
- When selling your product or service, use storytelling to sell the benefits, not the features.
- Apply a story arc when creating your content, to ensure you are creating engaging copy that people will care about.
- Facts and figures tell, stories sell.
Creating engaging content can be even easier when you know the 3 StoryHacks
1. Master the 3 StoryHacks you need to create better content faster in our Private VIP Workshop.
2. Get real-time feedback for a special project or presentation and elevate your business storytelling with live, virtual Coaching.
We hope this issue has been helpful. We look forward to seeing you next week!